Friday, January 20, 2012

new years crafting resolutions from the make interns!

For the second official, fun-filled blog post of MAKEatx, we thought we'd kick it off by introducing our interns through the projects they hope to accomplish in 2012. Collectively, we'll be sharing updates about our crafting adventures in the next few months and hopefully a few tutorials on specific projects using the MAKEatx laser-cutter.


Dionne


My goals in coming here really related more to tackling the machine overall than any single project. I could probably nail down 1 project with each of a few different materials. So, I'm all over the board here, but here goes:


First, I have goals to nail down 2 particular plans. I bought my first digitizing embroidery machine in the last 6 months and have not spent as much time with it as I originally intended to. Of course, I'm all about lasers right now, but I'd love to find a way to marry the two crafts.


In my other life, I actually work in upholstery. There is never a shortage of small fabric scraps in my house. I've got plenty of uses for them with the embroidery machine, I'd love to find more laser cutting uses for small fabric scraps. I love Eve's earrings, but I'm just not much of a jewelry girl






Wood - I have had this small dresser project on my Pinterest board and in a folder of DIY plans for a while now. I've just been too lazy to go after it with the scroll saw. The Epilog will definitely make easy work of it. I will have to cut a few of each word to get the thickness that I need, but that will also save me the trouble of figuring out a router to cut in handles under the words.






I recognize that this little table will not be nearly as functional as it is cute, but I've just gotta have it. Throw in the fact that I can make it myself and it marks another material off of my "conquered" list and I'm all in. I'll be going with a little tamer version in a clear acrylic.





I could definitely make use of a shelf like this is my bathroom. Of course, I'll jazz it up with some cut outs on the outside.


Lastly, I can't wait to tackle glass. I haven't decided on a design yet, buy my drinking glasses could definitely use a little more flair.


Caroline


For 2012, I'm trying to be a bit more realistic about my resolutions in general (...I don't expect I'll be going to yoga class every day or crocheting throw pillows for the whole house). Instead I have a few specific projects planned and I'll be on the lookout for more over the course of the year.


I've been a huge fan of dip-dyed garments for a while and rather than purchasing them, I'm determined to make my own! I scored a cheap sweatshirt that I'm planning to dip-dye over the weekend -



My other project is a wooden bat mobile for the house. You can never have too many spooky decorations! The tutorial and template for the pieces can be found here. I'll be sure to take some pictures to do a step-by-step tutorial for the MAKEatx blog in the future.


Tricia

This year, I'd like to focus my creative efforts on projects that can be integrated into daily life.  I've recently begun selling jewelry online, and the thought of people actually wearing my designs is infectious...I can't help but think what other corners of their worlds I can sneak into and, hopefully, improve.  


Housewares definitely fit the bill for my resolution, so I hope to to etch some tumblers with mid-century inspired patterns and add metallic accents, like these I found on Etsy.   

I'd love to make unique cutting boards, as well.  As a particularly slow vegetable chopper, I have probably spent a very sad amount of time staring at various dull cutting boards, so I'd love to be able to brighten up that routine for myself.  


We'd love to hear everyone's "crafting resolutions" for 2012 - Be sure to share yours in the comments! - Dionne, Caroline & Tricia